Thursday, July 2, 2015

I Am Not An Introvert

For at least a solid decade of my life I believed the lie that I was an introvert.  I let it define who I was and it held me back.

Now, let me clarify that being an introvert is not bad and it doesn't hold everyone back. Introverts, extroverts, and ambiverts are what make the world go round.  They each prefer to fill different necessary spots in this world that a person with another personality type would rather die if they had to do.  It's how we're made.

But, I tried to shove myself into a box I didn't belong in like a baby first trying to play with a shape sorter, I wasn't gonna fit.  I had labeled myself an introvert (and later an ambivert) and had adamantly argued that I was NOT shy.  I thought I was comfortable.


Well, I realize now that my first tip-off that I was certainly not an introvert was the fact that up until around 9th grade I had loved school... because I could hangout with friends, and I was ALWAYS friends with the new kids.  But at some point in early middle school I began to feel self-conscious just like every other preteen.  So naturally I got a little more shy, but then came the innocent sounding label: Quiet.  And I believed it.  I believed that I wasn't the spontaneous, talkative girl who loves socializing.  Which is, in part, true.  I am shy.  But I am an extrovert.  Looking back now, despite the fact that I wasn't and still am not the most talkative unless you give me copious amounts of caffeine, in that case, watch out world!  I was always the last to leave any group event or gathering because I didn't want to miss out on anything fun that may still happen.  I have always been an adrenaline junkie :) and love trying new things and thrill seeking.  Definitely not qualities of your textbook introvert.

But, thanks to the wonderful and amazing girls on my dorm wing at college this past year, I gradually began to realize that I hated to close my door and I always wanted to go to dances and get fro-yo, and *GASP*  I even knocked on people's door to invite them to come swing dancing.  (Not to mention DRAGGED others there too because I was not going to miss it :) )  I was so much happier this year, not that I was depressed before, but I realized who I was thank to the amazing friends I've made this year, and that person may be shy (and I'm working on that) but loves to meet new people after the initial 'talking to a new person' terror is gone, loves to go on 12:30 AM doughnut runs to a packed bakery, and especially loves to go country west coast swing dancing! :)  Thank you to everyone who made this past year one of the best years of my life.

Yeah I should have had this figured out long ago :)  It seems pretty obvious now.  If you had a similar experience I would love to here about it!  Leave a comment below!
    
Here's the link to part 1 of this post: Sorting Through It All

No comments:

Post a Comment